October 20, 2011

Sequinspiration!

Vintage Sequin Collection - Plenty of Colour

Ooooh, I'm such a magpie! I love all things shiny, sparkly, metallic! Which is why I'm LOVING one of this coming year's big trends: sequins! Sequin embellishment has fallen in and out of fashion-favour since... Well, since sequins were invented. I learned in an anthropology class that many aboriginal peoples in North America used sturgeon and pike scales to decorate their clothing and possessions, and this usage was likely common around the world. There are a few fashion-fabricators that still use fish scales as sequins. Just look how pretty this trout is! Yes, yes, trout don't have proper scales, but they're amazingly iridescent and clearly illustrate the potential beauty of sequins.

Trout caught by my boyfriend's father last winter. It was stuffed with lemon-pepper rice and baked.
So why are sequins so awesome for FW'11 into SS'12? Well, for one, Dolce & Gabbana are among my heroes:

Dolce & Gabbana Fall Winter 2011 Ad Campaign - art8amby
Dolce & Gabbana - look 52 (detail photo 61) - Style.com

*DROOL* The handbags are encrusted with sequins and gems!!! And seriously: a sequin smoking jacket!!! How about a more traditionally cut tuxedo jacket?

Dolce & Gabbana FW 2011 - look 46 - Style.com
As gorgeous as a "le smoking" or blazer would be in a sequined fabric, I think I'd rather have a greater-than-epic topper, a la Givenchy:

Givenchy SS2012 - look 28 - Style.com
Givenchy SS2012 - look 28 (detail photo 37) - Style.com
Givenchy, being the fashion powerhouse that it is, can show as many of the same outfit as they like, because the fashion royalty will eat it all up! This particular blazer is available in no less than 3 other fabrics! And they're ALL delicious! This, however, is by far my favourite iteration.

I am impressed by the work of Peter Dundas for Emilio Pucci. This gown in particular is gooooorgeous! I love the lines, the assymetry, the fact that it got a gut reaction from me the first time I saw it. Stunning, classic, and yet, unexpected!

Emilio Pucci FW2011 - look 46 - Style.com
As always with fashion, someone has to take things to the extreme! With giant 3 inch wide paillettes, I think Vuitton and Prada both do a great job of it:

Louis Vuitton FW 2011 - look 47 - Style.com
Prada FW 2011 - look 40 - Style.com
All of these looks are tres chic, but much too formal for most women's everyday lives. For more casual pieces, and DIY-ables, check back tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment